Gold Coast childcare worker accused of 1,600 child abuse offences: Case against 45-year-old man won't progress through courts until next year
Gold Coast childcare worker accused of 1,600 child abuse offences: Case against 45-year-old man won't progress through courts until next year Update on childcare worker's court case Man accused of abusing 91 children By Blake Antrobus And Aisling Brennan For Nca Newswire Published: 01:53 BST, 21 August 2023 | Updated: 01:53 BST, 21 August 2023 e-mail A man facing thousands of additional child abuse offences - including 136 counts of raping pre-pubescent girls - is expected to not have his 'voluminous' case progress through the courts until next year, a court has been told. Brisbane Magistrates Court's public gallery was packed on Monday morning as media awaited the 45-year-old's mention on the plethora of charges, laid by federal police earlier this month. The Gold Coast man has been in custody since August last year on separate alleged child abuse offences. Australian Federal Police (AFP) will allege the new 1623 charges relate to offences committed against 91 children in Brisbane, Sydney and overseas between 2007 and 2022. Police charged the man with more than 1600 child abuse offences, including 136 counts of raping pre-pubescent girls, earlier this month (stock image) On Monday, the man was not required to appear when his matter was mentioned for 356 of the offences, including 140 charges of indecent treatment of children under 12. His identity remains protected due to laws in Queensland preventing the identification of people charged with rape or serious sexual offences. The Director of Public Prosecutions prosecutor told the court he's had 'preliminary discussion' with the man's solicitor, Madeline Wood about the 'voluminous' amount of charges against him. 'We've had some discussion where we can expedite the matter to proceed through to committal,' he said. The prosecutor said the investigation against the man was still chasing evidence from witnesses overseas. 'The brief has largely been provided, there are some small bits of evidence relating to overseas witnesses which the DPP are waiting on and the federal police are waiting for as well but I don't anticipate that us delaying the matter,' he said. Ms Wood said her legal team had not been through the brief of evidence and agreed to a lengthy adjournment. Acting magistrate Anthony Gett said he wanted to hear from the DPP in November for an update on how the case is progressing, after the prosecutor had requested an adjournment to January. 'I still want to bring it back to see how its travelling, I don't want to adjourn it for a such a long period that's over five months away,' Mr Gett said. The matter will be mentioned in Brisbane Magistrates Court on November 6. The man remains in bail and has not made an application for bail. Police allege further self-produced child abuse material was uncovered on electronic devices owned by the man when he was arrested and charged last year. The AFP launched Operation Tenterfield in response, identifying children in the alleged abuse material recorded at 11 Australian childcare centres and an early learning centre attached to a school overseas. It is alleged the man recorded his offending on phones and cameras while working in 10 childcare centres in Brisbane between 2007 to 2013, and 2018 to 2022, along with a Sydney centre between 2014 and 2017. Other filmed offences are alleged to have taken place at the overseas location in 2013 and 2014. All the children allegedly offended against were pre-pubescent girls. Australian Federal Police Assistant Commissioner Justine Gough said the alleged offences were 'unfathomable' and 'chilling news' Australian Federal Police Assistant Commissioner Justine Gough said the alleged offences were 'unfathomable' and 'chilling news'. 'We are highly confident that all 87 Australian children who were recorded in the alleged child abuse material have been identified,' she said. 'The parents of all the Australian children recorded in the alleged child abuse material have been informed of the investigation. Some of the individuals identified in the alleged child abuse material are now aged over 18 years and have been informed.' Last year, the AFP was able to trace objects identified in the background of some of the alleged images and videos posted on the dark web between 2013 and 2014. It led police to a Brisbane childcare centre while the man's home was also raided. Nearly 4000 images and videos allegedly created by the man were reviewed by officers from a joint-agency task force between the AFP, Queensland Police and the Australian Centre to Counter Child Exploitation (ACCCE). Share or comment on this article: Gold Coast childcare worker accused of 1,600 child abuse offences: Case against 45-year-old man won't progress through courts until next year e-mail Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.